Pair of Porter Chairs
Porter chairs originated in 16th-century France and England, and historically were placed near the front doors of manor houses, for the use of the hall porter, or the gatekeeper. This member of domestic staff was integral, as they would admit or refuse visitors into the home. As this was a job of utmost societal importance, and also a safety precaution for the home's inhabitants, a hall porter was expected to be at his post at all times - often sleeping, or taking his meals in this chair. Porter chairs are distinctive due to their high, hooded backs, a feature that was included to help protect porters from drafts common around exterior doors. It has also been suggested this shape was chosen for its acoustic merits, allowing the porter to be as vigilant as possible, while listening for an approaching caller. Hall porters, and their accompanying chairs, became obsolete in the early 20th century, as the latch key became the preferred security measure for many homeowners. Nevertheless, porter chairs have remained timeless and stylish pieces of furniture. These two porter chairs are made of red leather, with metallic accents. Both chairs feature an impressively deep, enclosed back that give the chairs an ovular shape, accompanied by two armrests. This pair of porter chairs would be an eye-catching statement piece in any seating area.
At this time in Germany, the Kölner Dom – the Cologne Cathedral – was built. Begun in 1248, it took over seven centuries to complete the construction of this Gothic masterpiece. Work on the cathedral halted and resumed on several occasions before the edifice was finished in 1880. The Kölner Dom is the tallest twin-spired church in the world, and for a few years in the 19th century, it held the title of the tallest building in the world, until the completion of the Washington Monument in the United States. The cathedral sits on the banks of the Rhine River, making it one of Germany’s most visited landmarks. In 1996, the Cologne Cathedral was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.